Monday, May 26, 2014

Spring Art Show, 2014


Our district art show and music concert was held the previous Tuesday, almost one week ago from tonight.  Last week at this time I was still trying to get everything ready, frantically ordering students around and sticking projects to the walls.  The high school students always say I’m so pleasant the days before a show.  Hey, they have break ups and regents.  I have art shows.  We all have drama in our lives.  Mine is just brightly colored and comes the same night as our district budget vote. 
Tonight, I’m a million years away from all that stress.  I am calm after a relaxing long weekend.  I can actually look at the pictures and not shutter or blame myself for all of the stuff we could have done. I think most art teachers are perfectionist.  I know I am.  I know my elementary counterpart, Mrs. B, is.  We spent Monday and Tuesday calling each other up, talking about all these wonderful last minute ideas we wanted to do.  Some we got to.  Some were pipe dreams.

A small sampling of what we did. 


Our art show and music concert had an African theme to it.  We did this for a variety of reasons.  One, our 7th graders read the book A Long Walk to Water.   I’m guessing many of you have heard about it because it is required reading for common core.  Another reason we had the themed that we did is that everyone in our school, grades 6th through 12th, got to hear Gabriel Bol Deng speak this spring during his presentation, Hope for Ariang.  If you haven’t heard about this, I highly recommend listening to his story.  He is located on the Internet, here. 

Notice the hanging pinatas?  Yeah, so did the 9th graders on their way to lunch.  Grrrr.
 
 
Our chorus and bands did a wonderful job, but I’m here to tell you about the art.  All of my classes learned a little about South Africa this semester, focusing on the Ndebele tribe.  We especially took time to learn about the highly decorative houses the tribe is famous for.  Several classes did projects featuring these houses, but our main one was our hut. 

An adult could stand up in the middle.  I know, I tried to hide in there. 
 
 

We displayed that in the front lobby.  The rain sticks inside were a last minute addition and were made by 5th graders. 



Missing from the picture: three African folk tale story books.  Also, cookies and water. 
 

The table next to the hut was for cookies and water.  It also held our door prizes.  The art department always sponsors some giveaways.  Mostly we hand out student ceramic work and picture books to go along with the theme of our show.  This year we gave away a bowl set and a coffee cup (both made by students) and a set of three story books, all African folk tales.  In addition, we also gave away a piñata shaped like a giraffe.  You can see it in the picture. 


The sign was painted on cardboard pallets.  I wish I could get my hands on more of them!
 

 

Students also made the sign that explained the significance of the hut.  We encouraged people to go into the little cardboard building.  If it’s on display, people will want to touch it.  I say, go ahead!  It’s not like I’m seriously considering moving in. 



 
 
 

Across from the hut we displayed giant drawings of animals.  The elementary students did the small ones and my high schools made the elephant and the giraffe.  It turned out amazing!



 
 

All in all, our show turned out far better than I could ever imagine.  Sometime this week I am going to post a little bit more about the actual projects featured in the displays.  Until then, happy art making!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment