Saturday, May 31, 2014

Art show, part 2

In my last post, I showed off some pictures of our Spring Concert and Art Show.  In this post, I'm going to explain a few of the project and talk about the inspiration behind them.

In this picture you can see the ceramic houses that one of my studio one classes created.  They were suppose to look like Ndebele houses.  This was my first ceramic project that I developed from my head.  (Although since we made them, I have seen other Ndebele ceramic huts on the internet.)  I had never touch clay until I was hired at my school--a school with a giant kiln and a ceramic studio.  Talk about pressure!  I'm slowly getting acquainted with clay.  The houses turned out ok.  My idea for them was to make them into little jewelry like boxes, but some students added a door and not all of their roofs sit on the houses correctly.  I don't think we will be making these again in the future.  It was to fit in with the theme of the concert and art show. Behind the Ndebele huts you can see the 3D Ndebele huts that a different studio one class made.  They drew the huts on paper, cut them out, painted a background, and then used cardboard to make the houses come out a bit.  For a final touch, they glued straw to thatched roof.

What you are looking at here is a giant paper mache pair of shoes, complete with wings.  Now why ever would we make flying shoes in art class?  Well, I'll tell ya!  These shoes were made by a sixth grade class that was reading the book Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief.  One of my biggest goals teaching art is to connect to other classroom teachers.  I find students really like it and it makes our students have a productive and cohesive experience.  Each student made one shoe and had to work together to design the shoes.  This pair was my favorite.  Behind the shoes you can see another Ndebele 3D drawing and a watercolor based off a Klimt painting. 

Here is an oil pastel based off the book, Why the Sun and the Moon live in the Sky.  It is a traditional African folk tale and was one of the books we gave away.  Originally I found the story on line and read it to the students.  This was a lesson that I started, but let the students finish with a sub.  Sometimes that can be iffy, but this time turned out fine.  I did this with both sixth graders and seventh graders.  It was based off this pin

And here is this little guy.  My seventh graders made traditional Mexican pinatas.  They are fully functional.  For the art show, I hug them up and down the hallway.  People thought they were so cute.  I did too.  Unfortunately, they were up for less than 24 hours.  Our cafeteria is right across from where we hold the art show and I didn't want to tempt anybody into hitting them.  I was tempted, even though I knew there was no candy in them.  They went along with foreign language week.  We didn't quite make that deadline, but they were still wonderful for the Art Show. 

Here are the "choice paintings" my advanced students painted and hung up.  Due to having scheduling conflicts, sometimes I teach studio one, two and three all at the same time.  I let my older, advanced students do a choice based program.  I guess you could say I flirting with TAB.  I love all these paintings.  The advanced students hung them themselves, which was nice for me because by the time we got to this place in the hallway I was about ready to go off the deep end!

And here is my last set of projects I will be showing you.  The first one is a Klimt cat, made by seventh graders.  I found the lesson on the Internet here.  Although it was done with first graders, I modified it so it would be at a seventh grade level.  We finished it right before the semester switch, so it was a nice art history based wrap up.  The project next to it was a flower box.  We made some egg carton flowers and then glued them on to a painted background.  To finish it, we glued Popsicle sticks and then stained them with brown watercolors.  The final project I'm going to talk about is the Mondrian duct tape "painting."  I got this idea out of Dick Blick or United Art and Education, I can't remember which one.  Basically, you take a square of cardboard and cover it with duct tape in the style of Mondrian.  Not surprisingly, this project was a hit!  I enjoyed it, but there were a few surprises to go along with it.  It only took my high school students a day to finish.  Second, it took a lot of duct tape.  Not a very cost effective project.  I'll probably wait a few years to attempt to do it again. 

Lastly, here is me wearing my "Starry Night" dress from modcloth.  It was perfect for the night and I got a ton of compliments on it.  Behind it, of course, was our hut.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment