Saturday, January 17, 2015

Holiday Art show...The Grinch!


Art shows are the only reason I have to write in this blog.  At least that's what it would seem by my posting history.  I'm going to blame my lack of posting on the end of the school year.  And then, uh... a busy summer.  And then...  Oh, all right, I admit it.  I've been lazy.  But I'm going to stick with it this time.  I hope. 
 

                Enough of the promises.  Let's get to the art show.  This year our winter/ holiday concert and art show had the theme of the Grinch.  The chorus sings songs from the movie, the band plays the music, and a representative from the English department reads the book.  I have to say, this was our biggest and best show to date.

                Of course, I was all about the Grinchy art.  The Grinch is one of my favorite holiday books.  It was hard to come up with a Grinch themed project for each class, but it was incredibly easy to think of giant Grinch themed sculptures.  We always do giant sculptures to go along with our themes.  One year we made a train to go along with our Polar Express themed show.  In my last blog post, I talked a little about the giant Ndebele hut that we made for the art show last spring.  We tossed around all kinds of ideas.  One was doing a large sized model of Whoville, complete with Mount Crumpit.  Another was doing the inside of a who house (after the Grinch had visited) and even contemplated a who house with a window that you could look in and see little Cindy Lou Who fast asleep. 

                Those were the rejected ideas.  We settled not on one, not two, but three different ideas.  Three.  Different.  Ideas.  We created a tree, a sled (complete with Grinch and Max), and the "Welcome to Whoville" sign.  We did this because we like to really pile on the pressure right before Winter Break. 

                The first thing I'll talk about is the sled.  It was entirely student designed and built.  The middle school children helped paint it, but its design was executed completely by my independent advanced students. 
                The second thing we built was the tree with the whos dancing around it.  The tree was made by studio one students, with the ornaments made by 7th graders. 


 

                Lastly, the sign was designed by advanced students and painted by pretty much any warm body that happened to wander into the art room the week before the art show.  This thing looks amazing, but it was hard to hang up.  What made it so difficult to assemble was that it consisted of three separate pieces of cardboard.  I wish we would have made it one piece, but we were afraid it wouldn't fit through the door.  I think it would have been easier to put up if it was all connected.  Ah, that's what we call a learning experience my friends.
Notice the Grinch dress?  I made that!  I also made the Cindy Lou Who costume!
 
                The rest of the art show was amazing, of course.  I was totally impressed with all the work the students did.  I really love how their personality comes out in their art.  This year, we hung over 700 pieces of work for families and staff to look at.  We also created a huge sign that featured pictures of our students at work.


 


TAB Grinch projects.


 
 

                I have to say, it was an incredibly successful event.  My administrators were impressed, my students were proud, parents got a better understanding of our program, and I felt job satisfaction.  Life can't get any better than that! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment